Safari Day Camp 2019 registration is open!
Prices are listed on page 3 of the application. Lion Country Safari's unique summer day camp program offers children ages 6-12 a wonderful way to learn about animals and conservation.
- Sessions run weekly from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, June 17 to August 2, 2019 (No camp the week of July 4).
- Morning extended care is available from 8:00-9:30 a.m. and afternoon extended care is available from 4:30-5:30 p.m. at an additional cost of $10 per child per day for either, or $20 per day for morning and afternoon care.
- Each week features different themes.
- Each day, campers not only do an animal or environmental activity, but also do a craft and game that complement the daily theme.
Week 1: June 17-21, 2019:
Zebra, Ostrich, Snakes, Animal Artist, Grasslands
Week 2: June 24-28, 2019:
Primates, Macaw, Lizards, Chimp Keeper, Rainforest
Week 3: July 8-12, 2019:
Antelope, Owl, Alligator, Animal Theatre, Everglades
Week 4: July 15-19, 2019:
Giraffe, Lory, Turtles & Tortoises, Animal Health, Geology
Week 5: July 22-26, 2019:
Rhino, Flamingo, Dinosaurs, Animal Chef, Cryptozoology
Week 6: July 29-August 2, 2019:
Lion, Pelican, Reptile Invaders, Petting Zoo Keeper, Ocean
The themes for each weekly session are listed on page 2 of the application packet: one day is a mammal day, one a bird day, one a reptile day, one a zoo keeper day, and one a nature/habitat day; and all of these change each week. For instance, one week the mammal will be zebras, another week lions, etc. The animal program depends upon the daily theme. For pelicans and giraffes, for example, campers get to help feed the animals in addition to the keeper talk. For primates and parrots, campers learn the importance of enrichments and help to prepare the animals’ daily enrichment.
So, it is educational as well as fun, and campers get to do behind-the-scenes activities that regular visitors do not get the opportunity to do. And we have swimming for one hour per day per group (weather permitting) at our KOA pool, plus Safari Splash area, mini golf, paddleboats, carousel, petting zoo, etc. All activities take place on our property.
Certified lifeguards are on duty at all times the campers are in the pool, and all of our staff is CPR and First Aid certified as part of our week-long orientation process prior to the start of camp each year. Our camp counselors are all adults with previous teaching and/or camp counseling experience. We keep each group to 10 campers per counselor, plus 1 or 2 CITs. Whenever there is an animal activity, more adults are present.
Our camp fee includes:
- Daily lunch and snack, 1 T-shirt, 1 water bottle, 1 baseball cap, crafts, and daily admission. There are no additional registration fees.
- Please see the application for this year’s summer camp rates. We offer a $20 per week discount off of our regular rate for campers with a current Annual Pass.
- Early registration discount of $10 per week is valid through mid-March (subject to availability).