Lion Country Safari is a Drug Free Workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Current Employment Positions
Lion Country Safari accepts employment applications for all departments. Please visit our office during normal business hours (9:00 – 5:00 every day) and fill out an application, download an application (pdf format), fill out our online employment application, or send your resume and application to: Arlene Costigan, Human Resources Administrator Lion Country Safari 2003 Lion Country Safari Road Loxahatchee, FL 33470
The employment application can be viewed using the current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download the current version here.
FT Landscaper with experience in basic landscape equipment – weed eater, edger, chain saws, lawnmowers etc. Must be willing to work flexible hours including weekends and holidays and have reliable transportation. DFWP EOE.
Clinical Experience (to be gained during program): Large, diverse collection affords clinical experience with multiple species in a semi-free-ranging setting on ~350 acres. Student will be involved with non-domestic hoofstock field immobilization preparation/participation/research. Large chimpanzee collection, rhinos, lions, and giraffe also highlight the mammal collection. Psittacines, ratites, tortoises, and other bird and reptile species provide opportunities for additional exotic animal experience.
Research: Student is expected to complete a project on a topic of his/her choice. Case-based research is also encouraged.
Allied Institutions: Other large zoos are 30min to 2 hours away. Externship is full-time on-site at LCS.
Responsibilities: Student is involved in all aspects of this zoological park’s veterinary program. Daily assignments include patient care, treatments/cleaning, keeper communications, hospital and equipment upkeep, field procedure preparation and breakdown, assistance with medical records, diagnostic techniques, radiology, necropsy, etc.
Duration: Minimum 8 weeks required.
Application Requests: A completed application form, Curriculum vitae, letter of intent, one letter of reference, the names of 2 people who can be contacted for a reference, 2-3 choices for time slot. An application form can be obtained by contacting the program coordinator as indicated above.
Application Deadline: Students are selected on a first come, first served basis
Class Standing: Fourth year veterinary students preferred, DVM graduates also accepted
Compensation: Minimum Wage
Housing: Arranged by student
Transportation: Arranged by student
Insurance: Workman’s compensation. Must have valid driver’s license
Expenses: None anticipated
TB test/ Vaccinations: Current TB test (within 6 months) and Rabies titer, current tetanus vaccination recommended
Does the program accept international applicants: not at this time
Misc: DFWP/EOE, successful applicant must pass a drug test.
Contact: Dr. Elizabeth Hammond
Position (of contact): Veterinarian
Phone: (561) 793-1084 x 2320
FAX: (561) 793-9603
Employment, Job, Jobs, Apply, Work, Summer Jobs, Summer Job, Career, Careers, Internship, Internships, Job Openings, Job ApplicationThe Wildlife Hospital at Lion Country Safari is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of full-time Veterinary Technician. Located in Loxahatchee, Florida, just west of West Palm Beach, Lion Country Safari is a diverse zoological park, which is home to over 1000 animals. The park boasts a 320-acre preserve in which numerous species, including chimpanzees, non-domestic hoofstock, lions, and rhinos roam freely in spacious habitats. Additionally, a variety of avian species, small ruminants, and reptiles are displayed and provide close-up, interactive experiences for visitors.
General Job Description
Under Veterinary supervision the Veterinary Technician’s duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing assistance to the veterinarians in all forms of routine health procedures, field immobilizations, administration of medicine and anesthetics, husbandry, surgery, necropsy, etc.
- Performance of in-house laboratory procedures
- Preparation of samples to be sent to other laboratories as needed
- Maintenance of accurate records, ordering hospital supplies, and inventory
- Caring for and observing animals housed in the Wildlife Hospital as needed, maintaining hospital areas in a clean and orderly condition.
- Graduate of an American Veterinary Medical Association Accredited Veterinary Technology Program or two years experience as a veterinary technician in a veterinary hospital, zoo or similar facility
- Zoological/exotic animal experience preferred
- Valid driver’s license
- Willingness to work overtime and be available for emergency work
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays
- Willingness to work outdoors, be able to physically lift heavy objects (up to 70 lbs)
- Understands the physical and health related risks inherent to working with wildlife and zoo animals
- Able to work as a member of a team as well as individually with minimal supervision
Please email or mail cover letter, resume and contact information to:
Elizabeth Hammond, DVM, DACZM
Lion Country Safari
2003 Lion Country Safari Rd
Loxahatchee, FL 33470
561-793-1084 x 2320